The File Library is where you upload and store all the files (including images, fonts, videos, and documents) for your showcases. Basically, everything that you've ever added to a presentation winds up in the File Library — so it can get out of hand fairly quickly.
If sorting your files isn't cutting it, we've got plenty of options for managing your files and keeping your File Library spick and span.
Note: We offer File Library clean-ups free of charge, so if you don't have the time or inclination (we get it!) give us a shout and we'll sort something out for you.
If you're the DIY type, check out how you can manage your files below. We've also got a blog packed with tips and tricks for giving your File Library a Spring clean: Creating calm inside chaos: Managing your File Library.
To get started, log in to the Showcase web app and open your File Library by clicking 'Files' in the toolbar at the top of the page.
Delete old files
One of the quickest ways to clean up your File Library is to get rid of any old, out-of-date, or unused files that are clogging up your folders.
- Click the file(s) you want to get rid of.
- A ‘Delete’ icon (the trusty trashcan) will appear in the toolbar above your files. Click this icon to trash your file(s).
- Confirm you want to delete the file(s) by clicking 'Delete' in the box that pops up.
Important note #1: We can't recover deleted files so make sure you're 110% sure before clicking that button!
Important note #2: The system won't let you delete files that are being used in a showcase, so don't worry about breaking your showcase. If you get an error message saying that the deletion failed, check the file usages to see where it's being used.
Check where your files are being used
- Click the file you want to dive into (you can only check Usages for one file at a time).
- The 'Usages' icon (a question mark in a bubble) will appear in the toolbar above your files. Click it to bring up the File Usages dialog for that file.
If the file is in use, the dialog will show the showcase, slide, and hotspot that it's being in — including links that you can tap to go straight to that slide.
If the file is not in use, the dialog will display the text "This file is currently not in use". You can safely delete it or add it to a showcase if you know it needs to be somewhere.
Move files into appropriate folders
An easy way to way to make sure you can always find your files is to sort them into folders. We recommend creating folders for each showcase and using sub-folders for specific slides or groups of files.
You can move files from the main File Library directly into any folder or sub-folder.
- Click the file(s) you want to move.
- A 'Move' icon (a right-facing arrow), will appear in the toolbar above your files. Click this icon to open the 'Move to folder' dialog.
- Choose the folder you want to move the file(s) to.
- Hit 'Select' to confirm the move.
- Click the file you want to rename (you can only rename one at a time, for obvious reasons).
- A ‘Rename’ icon (it looks like a pencil writing on a piece of paper) will appear in the toolbar above your files. Click this icon.
- A pop-up box will appear where you can enter a new name.
- Click 'Save' to make it official!
If you're not sure what a file is or simply want a copy for yourself, you can download it to your device.
- Click the file you want to download (one at a time please, folks).
- A ‘Download’ icon (an arrow pointing down) will appear in the toolbar above your files. Click it to start the download in your browser automatically.
View information about your files
- For quick stats on your file, click the file in question (you can only view one file at a time to keep it simple).
- A 'File info' icon (the universal lowercase 'i' in a circle) will appear in the top toolbar. Click it to open the 'File Info' dialog.
The dialog box contains a wealth of information about your file, including the file name, type, size, dimensions, creation (upload) date, and more. See what you find out!
If that File Library clean-up is sounding good right about now, email our friendly help desk and we'll get cracking!