Sometimes when you're trying to download a presentation from the Showcase app, the system just doesn't want to play ball.
An error message that mentions missing files or invalid pointers can happen for a variety of reasons:
- Patchy internet connection
- Part of the device's system crashed or restarted during the download
- The download was taking a while and the device went to sleep while downloading. Zzz.
Since a presentation is made up of multiple files, Showcase needs to download each file individually before it can put them together.
If your internet cuts out while downloading any of these files — even for a moment — you might see a red 'warning' triangle under the presentation thumbnail, accompanied by a message about missing files or invalid pointers.
If this happens, try the following tricks to get that beautiful presentation on your device in its entirety:
- Clear your device's cache by logging out of the Showcase Workshop app and logging back in again.
- Check your internet connection. In general, it's best to try to download presentations and files over a solid connection — particularly if you're downloading a large presentation with lots of files.
- Make sure you're using the most up-to-date version of Showcase Workshop.
- Uninstall and reinstall the Showcase Workshop app from your device's app store. You'll have to download your presentations again but this will be an entirely fresh download (rather than just an update) which should reset the cache.
- Ask an Admin or Editor user to re-upload the file in question, re-link it accordingly, and publish the updated presentation.
If all else fails, get in touch with our friendly Helpdesk team and we'll be happy to take a look for you.