You can link many different types of content to a hotspot, including:
- Images (such as slide images which, if you're adding more than one, appear as a swipeable slideshow)
- Video (mov, mp4, m4v, avi, wmv, flv, mpg, or mpeg)
- Documents (.pdf, .docx, .xlsx, .pptx)
- URLs (website addresses)
- Submenus' (new sub-level slides)
To add content to a hotspot:
- Create a new hotspot, or click to highlight a pre-existing hotspot that you want to link to something else.
- Select ‘Add content’ from the menu above the showcase and choose the type of content you wish to add to the hotspot.
Note: If your hotspot already has content added, it will show here instead of 'Add Content'. To remove this, click the content and select the small minus button. If the content you're replacing is the same type (for example, you're replacing a video with another video), you can use the 'Replace' button instead.
- Unless you're adding a URL or submenu, you'll be prompted to select your file(s) from the file library or upload them via the file picker.
- Click ‘Done’ to confirm, or the minus button to ‘Remove’ and change the content again.
- Hit 'Publish' so your changes take effect!
Once you've added content to the hotspot, the ‘Add content’ option will change to indicate the type of content you've added.
Linking to URLs that aren't websites
You can link to an email address in a way that prompts a mail client (such as Outlook or the iPad 'Mail' app) to open.
To do this, put "mailto:" before the address in the URL field (no spaces or capitals, please!). So if the email address is firstname.lastname@example.org, then you'd put "mailto:email@example.com" in the URL field.
You can use 'sms:' and 'tel:' in the same fashion before phone numbers, but be aware this will only work when viewing the showcase on phones!
Links to other apps
You can also get a URL to trigger another app installed on the device opening. We have another article about this practice specifically.
If you're feeling advanced, you can also add HTML5 content to a hotspot. More details are here.